Since there are no games tonight, this might be a good time for a few little rants. Here are a few of my baseball-related pet peeves:
- Rain delays.
- People who appear to be incapable of remaining in their seats for more than 15 minutes at a time — the folks who
get up every inning (or several times in an inning) to get another beer or some more food, or go to the
rest room. How can they pay attention to the game when they’re out of their seats more often than they’re in it?
- Spending as much for a small soda as I pay for two 2-liter bottles of soda at the supermarket.
- Hitters who stand at home plate to admire their home run as it sails out of the ballpark, before finally starting their home run jog.
- Pitchers who pump their fist and scream and jump around every time they strike someone out. Celebrating a game-ending strikeout is one thing…celebrating every strikeout is annoying. To paraphrase NFL Hall of Fame coach Vince Lomdardi, when they get a strikeout, they should act like they’ve done it before.
- Baseball gear in pastel colors for women. When the teams themselves start wearing pink or lavender, then I’ll accept the pink or lavender caps, t-shirts, jerseys, etc. And don’t even get me started on the sequined caps and jerseys…..
- People who talk so much at ballgames that they miss the action and have
to keep asking what happened. If they had been paying attention, then
they’d have seen that great catch, great hit, great double play, etc.
- Treating yourself to field level seats, close to the field, and then having the tallest person at the ballpark sit in front of you (a real problem for someone like me who’s only 5’2″).
- People who ask me why I bother to root for a team that always finishes in last place and loses over 100 games two years in a row.
EDITED TO ADD:
- Caps, jerseys, t-shirt, etc. in alternative colors, other than a team’s actual colors. I don’t want a green Nationals cap or a black Yankees cap, thank you very much.
What are some of your baseball-related pet peeves?